USAA Careers: FAQs
♦ USAA: What We're Made of
Is USAA a good company to work for?
USAA’s mission is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates and their families by providing a full range of highly competitive financial products and services.
USAA has been voted:
- Certified Great Place to Work (89% of employees at USAA say it is a great place to work compared to 59% of employees at a typical U.S.-based company)
- Best places to work for LGBTQ by Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Best employers for new grads by Forbes
- Top 100 internship program by WayUp
- Top 10 military and military spouse friendly employer
- Best employer for vets by Military Times
- Various Diversity Equity and Inclusion awards, such as:
- Black Journal's "Best of the Best"
- Best Place to Work for Diversity & Inclusion
- Best Place to Work for Professional Women
- Best 50 Companies to Work for Latinas
For more information on about USAA, visit us at: usaajobs.com/about-usaa
♦ CAREERS AT USAA
How do I get a job at USAA & Basic qualifications to work at USAA?
USAA has some basic requirements for employment with USAA; all candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be authorized to work in the United States
- Applicants who accept a contingent offer of employment must satisfactorily meet all
requirements of the comprehensive background check, which includes drug testing.
- Complete an Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form
- Complete all job-related assessments
What is USAA's hiring process?
- APPLY: USAA accepts applications through our online Career Center. You will have the opportunity to set up a logon ID, create a profile, submit your resume, apply for the positions that interest you and build a job search agent. We encourage you to apply for a specific position due to the high volume of job seeker profiles we receive daily
- APPLICANT SCREENING: Only if a candidate meets the position’s qualifications, will you will be notified via email with instructions for any employment assessments that are required for the job. If received, you should complete the assessment prior to the next step in the process
- INTERVIEWS: If you have received a follow up email and have completed all the assessments, you may be selected to continue in the process (not every candidate is selected for an interview). If selected, a member of the staffing team will contact you for an interview. The interview determines if you are considered to be a good match for a position, If so, we’ll schedule you for a formal interview with a member of the hiring team.
- CANDIDATE SELECTION: After the formal interview, a hiring manager will review the feedback from interviewers and select an applicant for the position. Applicants who accept a contingent offer of employment must satisfactorily meet all requirements of the comprehensive background check.
How much experience do I need to work for USAA?
USAA offers a variety of career opportunities based on your unique experience. We provide several options for starting a new career where USAA will provide you training “from the ground up.” These positions are in Claims Adjusting, Mortgage Servicing and Customer Service.
If you are new to the workforce or are considering starting a new career, please visit our career site and search using the following recommended keywords: “Total Loss” (Claims), “Mortgage Originations” (Mortgage), and “Banking & Insurance Solutions” (Customer Service).
Each of these careers has exciting career progression opportunities and includes paid training. When searching, consider placing your search item in quotation marks. Otherwise, you may receive too many results.
How far back does USAA background check go?
USAA conducts thorough background checks, typically going back at least 5 years. This can be dependent upon the job requirements.
How long does it take to get hired at USAA?
The length of each stage in the process is hard to accurately define as it varies per role and candidate. USAA knows the importance of timely communication and strives to ensure that the hiring process is as efficient and successful as possible.
Does USAA hire felons?
A felony or misdemeanor conviction is not an automatic bar to consideration for employment, unless required by law.
For more information on available positions, please visit us at: usaajobs.com
♦ USAA LOCATIONS
Where does USAA hire?
USAA has operations in various cities across the U.S., such as:
- San Antonio, TX (corporate headquarters)
- Austin, TX
- Charlotte, NC
- Chesapeake, VA
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Plano, TX
- Phoenix, AZ
- Tampa, FL
For more information on USAA locations, visit us at: usaajobs.com/locations
Do I need to be a veteran to get a job at USAA?
No, you don’t have to be a veteran to work at USAA.
We are proud of our diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is not just a matter of law or compliance — it’s the right thing to do.
Making employment decisions based upon merit, qualifications and abilities related to business needs are consistent with our core values of service, loyalty, honesty, and integrity. The military community USAA serves is stronger for its diversity, and so is our organization.
For more information visit: usaajobs.com/military
What benefits does USAA offer?
At USAA, we invest in world-class benefits and career development opportunities for employees so they can concentrate on our purpose-driven mission. We offer a variety of benefit programs, which may vary by location, that includes the following:
- Physical, Financial and Emotional Wellness Programs
- Medical, prescription drugs, and telehealth
- Behavioral health
- Dental and vision
- Life insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan (401k)
- Pension Plan
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid time off
- Company holidays
- Bereavement leave
- Parental benefit
- Adoption assistance
- Healthy Points
- Employee Assistance Program
- Onsite fitness centers, relax rooms, and energy zones
- Onsite health clinics
- Recreation programs and facilities
- Reimbursements for remote employees for fitness and recreation
- Reimbursements for weight management and smoking cessation programs
- Commuter benefits
- Child and dependent care reimbursement
- Service awards and recognition
- Education assistance program
- College admissions assistance
- Tuition assistance for certifications and degrees
- Orientation and initial customized training
- Business seminars, speakers and workshops
- Self-study, classroom and distance learning options
- License prep, exams and continuing education
- Career development planning
- Leadership development programs
Does USAA offer a pension plan?
Yes, USAA provides a cash balance pension benefit at no cost to employees. USAA contributes 3% of an employee’s annual eligible earnings each year, up to IRS limits, that grows with interest credits. Employees are fully vested after completing three years of service.
Does USAA offer a 401k?
Yes, USAA offers employees a competitive retirement savings plan as an easy way to save for their future. USAA matches each pre-tax and/or Roth contribution with $2 for every $1 contributed, up to 4% of eligible earnings each paycheck. In other words, if you put in 4%, USAA puts in 8%.
Does USAA offer maternity or paternity leave?
Yes, all regular, full-time, U.S.-based employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of full pay through the Parental Benefit. New employees receive a prorated benefit, earning one-week of Parental Benefit for each month of service until they reach the 12-week maximum benefit.
Do USAA employees get a discount on insurance?
While USAA employees do not get a discount on insurance, USAA believes in taking care of the people who take care of our members. That’s why we invest in world-class benefits and career development opportunities for employees.
For more information on USAA Employee Benefits, please visit us at: usaajobs.com/about-usaa