USAA Careers: FAQs
♦ USAA: What We're Made of
Is USAA a good company to work for?
USAA’s mission is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates and their families by providing a full range of highly competitive financial products and services. USAA has worked hard to build a company that supports its people and its mission. We're proud to be recognized as a top employer. Learn more here: https://www.usaajobs.com; https://www.usaajobs.com/military; https://www.usaajobs.com/diversity
FRAUD ALERT: What is USAA doing about fraudulent job postings?
- Beware of fake job postings as USAA will never:
- Ask for payment to process employment application documents
- Refer you to a third party to process job applications
- Ask you to pay to work including cost of work related equipment
- USAA does not use free, web-based email accounts.
- Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide employment with USAA
- Never share personal information through unsecure channels
USAA takes this matter seriously; if you suspect USAA recruitment fraud, please contact email@example.com immediately.
♦ CAREERS AT USAA
How do I get a job at USAA & Basic qualifications to work at USAA?
USAA has some basic requirements for employment with USAA; all candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be authorized to work in the United States
- Applicants who accept a contingent offer of employment must satisfactorily meet all
requirements of the comprehensive background check, which includes drug testing
- Complete an Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form
- Complete all job-related assessments
What is USAA's hiring process?
- APPLY: USAA accepts applications through our online Career Center. You will have the opportunity to set up a logon ID, create a profile, submit your resume, apply for the positions that interest you and build a job search agent. We encourage you to apply for a specific position due to the high volume of job seeker profiles we receive daily
- APPLICANT SCREENING: Only if a candidate meets the position’s qualifications, will you will be notified via email with instructions for any employment assessments that are required for the job. If received, you should complete the assessment prior to the next step in the process
- INTERVIEWS: If you have received a follow up email and have completed all the assessments, you may be selected to continue in the process (not every candidate is selected for an interview). If selected, a member of the staffing team will contact you for an interview. The interview determines if you are considered to be a good match for a position, If so, we’ll schedule you for a formal interview with a member of the hiring team.
- CANDIDATE SELECTION: After the formal interview, a hiring manager will review the feedback from interviewers and select an applicant for the position. Applicants who accept a contingent offer of employment must satisfactorily meet all requirements of the comprehensive background check
How much experience do I need to work for USAA?
USAA offers a variety of career opportunities based on your unique experience. We provide several options for starting a new career where USAA will provide you training “from the ground up.” These positions are in Claims Adjusting, Mortgage Servicing and Customer Service.
If you are new to the workforce or are considering starting a new career, please visit our career site and search using the following recommended keywords: “Total Loss” (Claims), “Mortgage Originations” (Mortgage), and “Banking & Insurance Solutions” (Customer Service).
Each of these careers has exciting career progression opportunities and includes paid training. When searching, consider placing your search item in quotation marks. Otherwise, you may receive too many results.
How far back does USAA background check go?
USAA conducts thorough background checks, typically going back at least 5 years. This can be dependent upon the job requirements.
How long does it take to get hired at USAA?
The length of each stage in the process is hard to accurately define as it varies per role and candidate. USAA knows the importance of timely communication and strives to ensure that the hiring process is as efficient and successful as possible.
Does USAA hire felons?
A felony or misdemeanor conviction is not an automatic bar to consideration for employment, unless required by law.
For more information on available positions visit: USAA JOBS
♦ USAA LOCATIONS
Where does USAA hire?
USAA has operations in various cities across the U.S., such as:
- San Antonio, TX (corporate headquarters)
- Charlotte, NC
- Chesapeake, VA
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Plano, TX
- Phoenix, AZ
- Tampa, FL
For more information visit: USAA LOCATIONS
Do I need to be a veteran to get a job at USAA?
No, you don’t have to be a veteran to work at USAA.
We are proud of our diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is not just a matter of law or compliance — it’s the right thing to do.
Making employment decisions based upon merit, qualifications and abilities related to business needs are consistent with our core values of service, loyalty, honesty, and integrity. The military community USAA serves is stronger for its diversity, and so is our organization.
I am transitioning from the military. Where should I look?
You are always encouraged to leverage your military experience at USAA. Take a look at the information on the Military and Spouses tab of our USAA Military Jobs for ideas and starting points. We cannot give specific recommendations, as each veteran’s skills, knowledge, training, ability and aspirations are different. There is a Military skills translator tool on our USAA Military Jobs. We also recommend the Hiring our Heroes website of the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation. This site has great resources for transitioning veterans.
I am a veteran with extensive management and leadership experience. Advanced-level positions at USAA all seem to require industry experience, which is difficult for veterans to acquire. How do I compete?
At USAA, we understand this is the challenge for veterans who want to leverage their military experience. It is well known that veteran leaders have many soft skills, but not always the business acumen. Consider positions that will develop your business acumen first.
I am a veteran and looking to capitalize on my military experience at USAA. Can you suggest a direction for me to look at USAA?
We cannot give specific recommendations, as each veteran’s skills, knowledge, training, ability and aspirations are different. We post our roles with a skills-based focus. There are some roles that require specific experience, as well. Search jobs that interest you and look at the minimum requirements. If you meet the minimum requirements, you should apply.
For more information visit: USAA MILITARY JOBS
What benefits does USAA offer?
At USAA, we invest in world-class benefits and career development opportunities for employees so they can concentrate on our purpose-driven mission. We offer a variety of benefit programs, which may vary by location, that includes the following:
- Physical, Financial and Emotional Wellness Programs
- Medical, prescription drugs, and telehealth
- Behavioral health
- Dental and vision
- Life insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan (401k)
- Pension Plan
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid time off
- Company holidays
- Bereavement leave
- Parental benefit
- Adoption assistance
- Healthy Points
- Employee Assistance Program
- Onsite fitness centers, relax rooms, and energy zones
- Onsite health clinics
- Recreation programs and facilities
- Reimbursements for remote employees for fitness and recreation
- Reimbursements for weight management and smoking cessation programs
- Commuter benefits
- Child and dependent care reimbursement
- Service awards and recognition
- Education assistance program
- College admissions assistance
- Tuition assistance for certifications and degrees
- Orientation and initial customized training
- Business seminars, speakers and workshops
- Self-study, classroom and distance learning options
- License prep, exams and continuing education
- Career development planning
- Leadership development programs
Does USAA offer a pension plan?
Yes, USAA provides a cash balance pension benefit at no cost to employees. USAA contributes 3% of an employee’s annual eligible earnings each year, up to IRS limits, that grows with interest credits. Employees are fully vested after completing three years of service.
Does USAA offer a 401k?
Yes, USAA offers employees a competitive retirement savings plan as an easy way to save for their future. USAA matches each pre-tax and/or Roth contribution with $2 for every $1 contributed, up to 4% of eligible earnings each paycheck. In other words, if you put in 4%, USAA puts in 8%.
Does USAA offer maternity or paternity leave?
Yes, all regular, full-time, U.S.-based employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of full pay through the Parental Benefit. New employees receive a prorated benefit, earning one-week of Parental Benefit for each month of service until they reach the 12-week maximum benefit.
Do USAA employees get a discount on insurance?
While USAA employees do not get a discount on insurance, USAA believes in taking care of the people who take care of our members. That’s why we invest in world-class benefits and career development opportunities for employees.
For more information visit: USAA BENEFITS