Sr. Property Adjuster (Field) - San Jose-Sunnyvale CA
Purpose of Job**Company Vehicle Provided**
**Looking for experienced Sr. Property Adjusters in San Jose-Sunnyvale, CA**
Adjusters in this role will focus on utilizing technology and desk adjusting for a virtual first approach to inspections and claims handling and will also be responsible for physically inspecting losses within their locally assigned territory. Adjusters in this role may expect to travel outside of their local territory to respond to catastrophes in other regions when needed.
Within defined guidelines and framework, investigates, evaluates, negotiates and settles complex property insurance claims presented by or against our members. Confirms/analyzes coverage, recognizes liability exposure and negotiates equitable settlement in compliance with all state regulatory requirements. Recognizes and empathizes with members’ life events, as appropriate.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Manage assigned claims caseload comprised of claims with complex damages including specialty claims. Updates initial reserve levels.
- Partners with vendors and internal business partners to facilitate complex claims. May also involve external regulatory coordination to ensure appropriate documentation and compliance.
- Investigates claim damages by conducting research from various sources, including the insured, third parties, and external resources.
- Proactively identifies and engages in additional confirmation of potential discrepancies involving complicated situations.
- Serves as a resource for less experienced staff, providing informal coaching as appropriate.
- Identifies coverage concerns, reviews prior loss history, determines and creates Special Investigation Unit (SIU) referrals, when appropriate Determines coverage through analyzing information involving complex policy terms and contingencies.
- Communicates with insured about coverage or any issues that involve additional information or considerations regarding settlement amount.
- Determines and negotiates complex claims settlement. Makes recommendations to management for settlement amounts outside of authority limits.
- Maintains accurate and current claim file documentation throughout the claims process for complex claims.
- Proficient knowledge of estimating technology platforms. Utilizes platforms to prepare claims estimates in order to manage complex property insurance claims.
- Supports workload surges and/or Catastrophe (CAT) operations as needed to include working significant overtime; may involve deployment travel during designated CATs.
- May act as an informal resource for team members with less experience.
- Recognizes and solves obstacles that occurs in the claims process without supervisory approval.
- May require limited travel to resolve claims and conduct in-person inspections.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma
- 2 years’ relevant property claims adjusting experience of moderate complexity that includes writing estimates involving dwelling and structural damages.
- Successfully acquire Property & Casualty (P&C) adjuster license and state registrations within 90 days of hire.
- Proficient knowledge of Xactimate or similar estimating platform.
- Advanced knowledge estimating losses of moderate complexity.
- Proficient knowledge of property claims contracts and interpretation of case law.
- Demonstrated negotiation, investigation, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to travel 50-75% of the year (local & non-local) and/or work catastrophe duty when needed.
- Developing knowledge of residential construction.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Prior experience desk adjusting property claims involving DWG, APS and ALE using virtual technologies such as ClaimsXperience
- Experience handling higher severity/complex losses (i.e. vandalism, malicious mischief, foreclosures, earth movement, collapse, liability, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Industry designations such as CPCU, AIC, SCLA (or actively pursuing)
- Currently reside within or have the ability to self-relocate within 25 miles of San Jose-Sunnyvale
- Xactimate Level 1 and/or Level 2 certification
- Currently hold an active Adjuster License
Available to work a flexible schedule Monday – Friday with availability for occasional evenings and weekends as business need dictates. Typical hours are 9:00 am - 5:30 pm local time. This is an hourly, non-Exempt position with paid overtime available.
Work from home member contact employees must have access to minimum broadband internet connection standards as defined by CTDO. Current requirements are as follows:
- Bandwidth must have minimum capability of consistent speeds of 25 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.
- Wireless and Satellite coverage is currently not approved.
- Must be able to provide workspace at home that is safe, suitable for work, and provide a distraction free environment from background noises that may distract a member or internal USAA customer.
- In some roles you will be expected to use a webcam for training, please be prepared every day to turn on your webcam USAA provides.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
Compensation: USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $60,300 - $108,600*(this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
Benefits: At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.