VP, Federal Government RelationsLocation Washington D.C., District of Columbia Secondary Locations Washington,District of Columbia; Job ID R0042031 Date posted Feb. 14, 2020 Apply Now
Purpose of JobThe Vice President, Federal Government Relations will be responsible for developing and executing a strategic federal government affairs plan, and for ensuring strong relationships and strategic communications with regulators and government leaders. Leads efforts at the federal level to proactively develop and advocate USAA’s industry-related policies, positions and strategies, forging constructive solutions and building industry coalitions as necessary to advance USAA’s interests. Monitors and influences emerging strategic issues in legislative, regulatory and industry venues, which impact USAA and the financial services industry through various means including participation in professional groups, industry associations and committees.
- Accountable for the overall supervision, planning, organization and coordination of USAA’s federal government relations programs and activities.
- Drives proactive federal advocacy campaigns that support USAA objectives and support an excellent reputation among Washington, DC -based audiences. Advocates for laws, regulations and policies favorable to the company and its business units and functions.
- Develops strong relationships and serves as USAA’s key point-of-contact with appropriate members of Congress, staff members, and Executive Branch officials.
- Serves as an advisor to USAA senior executives on federal issues; partners with other senior executives and the Chief Legal Officer to develop and implement a strategy to promote USAA’s interests at the federal level.
- Provides counsel for existing, emerging and potential public policy issues to determine business impact and develop strategic and tactical plans to manage the issues externally and internally, anticipating and projecting trends, developments, threats and opportunities.
- Manages USAA government relations staff, ensuring that their skills and abilities increase the government affairs impact; manage the department’s budget to optimize USAA’s government relations activities.
- Monitors the legislative and regulatory processes at all levels of the federal government, while ensuring that senior leadership are aware of impending policy and legal issues of interest to USAA.
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with industry peers, stakeholder groups and key industry/opinion leaders to help create an understanding of USAA, its objectives and mission.
- Responds to inquiries on policy issues on behalf of USAA and oversee the development and dissemination of positions to advance USAA’s objectives, including testimony, comments on regulations, and policy-related talking points and messages.
- Represents USAA at trade groups and develops extensive relationships with industry peers and other stakeholder groups.
- Partners with and recommends PAC contributions to federal candidates and corporate contributions where permitted.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 10 years of progressive government affairs/relations, public policy, public affairs, community relations, campaign work or related experience.
- 8 years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams.
- Organizational leadership and management experience; the ability to motivate others to advance goals and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Demonstrated strong record of planning and executing successful lobbying and government affairs initiatives to achieve enterprise-wide results; proven experience building partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Demonstrated ability to work with government officials on Capitol Hill and/or at a federal agency, especially in the Senate, House or White House including senior administration officials, Members of Congress and federal agency officials.
- Demonstrated track record of working with and earning the trust and confidence of high-profile government leaders and serving as a trusted advisor/counselor.
- Experience and understanding of financial services regulation.
- Experience as a member of an organizations’ executive management team; experience successfully providing counsel and recommendations on complex government affairs matters to senior business leaders.
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of the business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required; background in developing and managing budgets, including budget analysis, forecasting and planning.
- Excellent communication, analytical, and organizational skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or Communication
• Strong leadership ability
• Experience in the Senate, House, White House or other executive agency
• Ability to influence and develop position son federal government matters related to business strategy and initiatives.
• Ability to work and contribute in a fast paced business environment, to think strategically and develop solutions that can be implemented to attain desired results
• Ability to break down barriers and drive for results.
• Champion of culture, change management, and innovation.