Trial AttorneyLocation San Antonio, Texas Secondary Locations San Antonio,Texas; Job ID R0035412 Date posted Jul. 11, 2019 Apply Now
Purpose of JobProvides legal services of a simple and moderate nature to clients. Handles simple to moderately complex levels of lawsuits through trial, arbitration or appeal. May handle some more complex litigation upon assignment.
- Handles simple to moderate insurance defense cases through trial, arbitration or appeal for clients on cases assigned by Claims Litigation Operations personnel.
- Provides legal advice and strategy on assigned cases.
- May also provide advice and handle pre litigation matters.
- Prepares legal pleadings, motions, statements, memoranda, trial briefs and other legal documents on assigned cases.
- Provides legal advice and representation to clients, and appears in court as required.
- May attend mediations or conduct direct settlement negotiations with plaintiffs' attorneys regarding cases in suit.
- Provides in house training for P&C claims personnel and claims litigation personnel regarding changes in litigation and/or appropriate processes and procedures.
- Acquires and applies appropriate knowledge of relevant legal/litigation discipline.
- May assist with complex litigation cases.
- Evaluates case specific legal issues and directs appropriate resources and responses.
- Provides guidance to team members and claims department related to file or claim related legal issues.
- May serve as a mentor to team members and administrative support.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- 4 or more years of experience practicing law handling personal injury or civil litigation or trial cases.
- Licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction(s) served.
- Familiarity with court systems in geographic area being served.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools.
- Ability to perform online legal research and Advanced knowledge of relevant legal data resources.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Experience preparing trial and discovery reports for insurance companies.
- 4-10 years handling personal injury/property damage trials. Willing to consider candidates with less trial experience if they possess other relevant credentials.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 07/17/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.