Sr Attorney - Military Benefits
Purpose of JobThis position is located in San Antonio, Texas or working remotely.
In this position you will be responsible for providing legal counsel to business unit leadership within USAA specifically supporting the bank and enterprise Military Benefits team by identifying and analyzing legal issues and communicating effective legal advice. Proactively engages with business clients to better understand USAA’s strategic and operational objectives. Engages and collaborates with internal stakeholders within business units and the Chief Legal Office. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization, has in-depth expert knowledge and the proven ability to lead efforts to resolve complex issues.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Independently provides legal counsel to senior leadership to support business objectives and manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA.
- Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions.
- Proactively identifies and manages existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAAs legal risk appetite. Ensures risks are effectively measured, monitored and controlled. Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms. Produces clear and concise legal positions involving highly complex issues.
- Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner. Anticipates potential or future legal and operational issues that present a risk to the organization and proactively engages with others to identify potential solutions.
- Regularly provides guidance to more junior attorneys and serves as a resource to others in the Chief Legal Office.
- Provides leadership through cross-functional projects that have a material impact to USAA.
- Effectively manages outside counsel to obtain legal advice.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- 8 years of relevant experience with at least 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- 7 plus years of proficient experience with both federal and state Servicemembers Civil Relief Act laws and significant experience with Military Lending Act.
- Extensive experience working with financial consumer protection laws.
- Experience working with bank operations and interfacing with bank regulatory agencies and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Current or recent in-house counsel experience working in a mid to large size financial institution.
- Prior law firm or in-house counsel experience.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $135,200.00 - $243,500.00 *(this does not include geographical differential, it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is notavailable for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 3/07/21 by 11:59 pm CST time.
- Senior Attorney - Privacy & Data Security Phoenix, Arizona | San Antonio, Texas | Tampa, Florida