Sr Attorney - Insurance Regulatory
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Onsite Gym/ Fitness Center
Paid Time Off
Retirement Plan (With Match)
Health and Wellness Programs
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Sr Attorney - Insurance Regulatory
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a Sr Attorney - Insurance Regulatory for our San Antonio, Texas home office location or working remotely.
Responsible for providing legal counsel to business unit leadership within USAA by identifying and analyzing legal issues and communicating effective legal advice. Proactively engages with business clients to better understand USAA’s strategic and operational objectives. Engages and collaborates with internal stakeholders within business units and the Chief Legal Office. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization, has in-depth expert knowledge and the proven ability to lead efforts to resolve complex issues.
- Independently provides legal counsel to senior leadership to support business objectives and manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA.
- Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions.
- Proactively identifies and manages existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAAs legal risk appetite. Ensures risks are effectively measured, monitored and controlled. Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms. Produces clear and concise legal positions involving highly complex issues.
- Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner. Anticipates potential or future legal and operational issues that present a risk to the organization and proactively engages with others to identify potential solutions.
- Regularly provides guidance to more junior attorneys and serves as a resource to others in the Chief Legal Office.
- Provides leadership through cross-functional projects that have a material impact to USAA.
- Effectively manages outside counsel to obtain legal advice.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- 8 years of relevant experience with at least 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Experience within the personal lines property and casualty insurance business and with key functions including pricing, underwriting, claims and sales practices, including knowledge of the property and casualty regulatory framework and the laws and regulations governing personal lines property and casualty insurance.
- Experience in understanding actuarial analysis and working with actuaries, models, data analytics, privacy and reinsurance.
- Experience in working with and communicating with insurance regulators.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 2/19/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.