Sr Attorney - Bank BSA AML and Safety & Soundness Regulation
ON-SITE GYM/ FITNESS CENTER
Paid Time Off
Retirement Plan (With Match)
Health and Wellness Programs
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Sr Attorney - Bank BSA AML and Safety & Soundness Regulation
Purpose of JobSenior Attorney – Bank BSA/AML and Safety & Soundness Regulation
We are currently seeking a talented Senior Attorney working remotely for our USAA San Antonio, Texas bank location.
***This position is open to working remotely***
In this position you will be responsible for providing expert legal counsel on Bank Secrecy Act, Anti-Money Laundering (BSA/AML) and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) requirements to Senior Leaders, including Executive Counsel for an operating area or staff agency within USAA, and on select areas of bank safety & soundness regulation to USAA’s OCC and FDIC regulated banks.
Responds to needs of the business unit by identifying and analyzing complex and unique legal issues and provide resolution for these legal matters. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization and has in-depth, expert knowledge in specific type of law, and/or the proven ability to lead efforts to resolve complex issues. May work with outside counsel.
- Independently provides legal counsel to senior leadership to support business objectives and manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA;
- Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions. (Such as interpretation of new legislation or regulation(s) necessary to align across CLO teams, product and process changes that are multi-jurisdictional)
- Proactively identifies and manages existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAA’s legal risk appetite. Ensures risks are effectively measured, monitored and controlled. Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms. Produces clear and concise legal positions involving highly complex issues.
- Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry, and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner. Anticipates potential or future legal and operational issues that present a risk to the organization and proactively engages with others to identify potential solutions.
- Regularly provides guidance to more junior attorneys and serves as a resource to others in the Chief Legal Office.
- Provides leadership through cross-functional projects that have a material impact to USAA.
- Effectively manages outside counsel to obtain legal advice.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA.
- 8 years of relevant experience with at least 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic.
- Deep understanding of BSA/AML and OFAC statutes, regulations and best practices.
- Experience reviewing and editing policies and procedures to enhance BSA/AML compliance.
- Experience reviewing various materials, such as internal and customer-facing communications; responding to customer complaints; reviewing BSA/AML-related Board materials.
- Expert knowledge of OFAC sanctions.
- Experience in sanctions screening, supporting bank money movement function and sanction matters – experience with Zelle, Paypal and other P2P applications.
- Experience with fraud and financial crime prevention processes, developing or reviewing related bank policies.
- Experience interpreting FDI Act Section 19 hiring restrictions for candidates with certain criminal backgrounds a plus.
- Experience with a variety of other safety & soundness banking regulations, OCC and FDIC banking regulations, including the OCC’s Heightened Standards.
- Demonstrated success communicating and collaborating with colleagues, the Business, Risk, Compliance and Audit to ensure continuous improvement in the identification and escalation of legal risks and in the management of emerging regulatory trends.
- Prior law firm, in-house counsel or agency experience.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
- Business Intelligence Analyst I San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas
- Senior Business Risk and Controls (Real Estate Servicing/ TPRM Oversight) San Antonio, Texas | Colorado Springs, Colorado | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas | Tampa, Florida
- Development Product Owner I San Antonio, Texas
- Business Strategy Analyst Senior (Office and/or Remote) Colorado Springs, Colorado | Phoenix, Arizona | Tampa, Florida | San Antonio, Texas | Chesapeake, Virginia
- Decision Science Analyst I San Antonio, Texas