Senior Designer (Remote Work Available)
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Senior Designer (Remote Work Available) for one of the following locations: San Antonio Home Office I, Austin Design Studio or Plano Legacy.
Leads high-performing, cross-organizational teams by applying advanced knowledge and experience in the practice of human-centered design.
Synthesizes the work of cross functional teams to deliver a unified design vision for complex Member and Employee experiences in a data-informed, agile environment. Demonstrates the value of design by building trust-based relationships that influence the alignment of stakeholders across projects, teams, and functions.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA’S CHIEF DESIGN OFFICE
USAA has been powering innovation with empathy for nearly 100 years. Within the Chief Design Office (CDO), we reaffirm our commitment to build for the future and humanize the digital experience. CDO is comprised of 200+ multi-disciplinary designers, teachers, students, empathizers, explorers, doodlers, and even unicyclists. Spanning three locations (San Antonio, Austin and Plano), we have varied backgrounds across all design disciplines, from self-taught to advanced degrees.
As designers at USAA, we are measured by delivering on our mission: to help facilitate the financial security of our members. With access to millions of USAA members, we craft informed solutions through human-centered design that demonstrate value and meaning based on real needs. We continually engage our business partners and members to ensure we are focused on the right solutions. As technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, we recognize the need to not only stay current, but also look beyond, all for the benefit of our members.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Supports design team in defining business problems, design requirements, and demonstrate a solution's potential success for moderately complex projects.
- Co-facilitates a cross-functional understanding of business problems and potential design solutions using human-centered design sessions and group discussions to achieve actionable outcomes.
- Navigates multiple workstreams from discovery to implementation, balancing efforts, priorities, and partnerships for each.
- Guides the development and facilitation of human-centered research efforts, the synthesis of research findings and the generation of insights.
- Works autonomously to create holistic member experiences leveraging extensive knowledge of interaction design, visual design, and/or content design.
- Articulates ideas and solutions using a range of storytelling techniques to inspire and compel audiences to align on direction.
- Mentors developing designers across the Chief Design Office. Provides constructive day-to-day feedback and guidance to team members.
- Applies advanced understanding of human-centered and service design practices and leverages multiple methods to solve complex design problems.
- Stays abreast of current digital and mobile technology trends, in the area of application architecture with best practices within the digital development ecosystem
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree (10+ years of experience in lieu of degree).
- 6 years of relevant, on-the-job experience in a Product Design, UX Design, Service Design or Design Research role delivering complex design systems for web and native applications.
- Highly organized, with the ability to work on multiple projects/task at once while managing a diverse group of employees.
- Extensive experience designing and supporting digital products inside an Agile environment using human-centered design principles, methods and problem-solving strategies.
- A portfolio that demonstrates extensive experience designing digital experiences for mobile and web-based applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work fluently in standard applications, including Sketch, InVision (or comparable prototyping tools), Adobe CC and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced facilitation, collaboration and consensus-building skills, with extensive experience in presenting to cross-functional terms and Senior/Executive leaders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, time management skills and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated advanced understanding of new technologies and best practices in website navigation, browsers, mobile patterns, information architecture and usability.
- Demonstrated experience designing user interfaces for web and mobile applications (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Demonstrates a strategic mindset by decomposing complex problems into a clear and achievable workstream requiring limited support and direction for decision making.
- 4+ years’ experience with interaction and visual design for web-based experiences and applications.
- Must have experience working on an Enterprise level CMS (AEM preferred) and a Design Language System
- Fluent with the use and creation page types (templates) and components (Modules, blocks, etc...)
- Proven experience creating designs that impact user engagement and website conversions.
- Deep understanding of current UI trends and technologies.
- Extensive experience with micro interactions.
- A strong portfolio that showcases your knowledge of design principles and information architecture, interaction design, and visual design skills.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is notavailable for this position.
- UX Designer (Remote Available) Austin, Texas | Plano, Texas | San Antonio, Texas
- Senior Designer/Researcher (Remote Work Available) San Antonio, Texas | Austin, Texas | Plano, Texas