R0052138 Attorney Bank Affiliate Transactions & TPRM (Remote Work Environment Available)
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Attorney for our USAA San Antonio, Texas home office location.
***This position is open to working at the San Antonio, Texas home office or working remotely***
In this position you will be responsible for providing legal counsel to business unit leadership within USAA by identifying and analyzing legal issues and communicating effective legal advice. Proactively engages with business clients to better understand USAA’s strategic and operational objectives. Engages and collaborates with internal stakeholders within business units and the Chief Legal Office. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Provides legal counsel to support business objectives and mitigate regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA.
- Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions.
- Proactively identifies and manages existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAAs legal risk appetite.
- Ensures risks are effectively measured, monitored and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms. Produces clear and concise legal positions.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner.
- Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
- Works effectively with outside counsel or contract professionals to complete assignments.
- May assist more senior attorneys in providing advice and counsel on highly complex matters.
- Ensures escalation of matters presenting more significant risk to more senior attorneys.
- Serves as a resource to less experienced team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- 6 years of relevant experience with at least 4 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Experience working on Regulation W/affiliate transactions issues, including analyzing both affiliate service relationships and Reg. W “covered transactions.”
- Substantial experience working on third-party risk management issues, including TPRM program execution and design.
- Experience with contract review and legal review of outsourcing arrangements and associated risk.
- Understanding of bank safety and soundness law with focus on OCC and FDIC regulatory compliance matters and heightened standards; ability to research and support special projects as needed.
- Familiarity with the general bank regulatory framework.
- Familiarity with regulatory change management and experience identifying and analyzing impacts of regulatory change a plus.
- Demonstrated success communicating and collaborating with Business, Risk, Compliance and Audit to ensure continuous improvement in the identification and escalation of legal risks.
- Experience briefing senior management effectively on key legal risks, emerging regulatory trends and practical solutions.
- Prior law firm, in-house counsel or regulatory agency experience.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
- Audit Manager - IT Projects San Antonio, Texas | Plano, Texas
- AVP, Mortgage Servicing Rights Asset Management San Antonio, Texas
- Sr. Quantitative Risk Analyst - Credit Card Portfolio (Remote Work Environment Available) Plano, Texas | San Antonio, Texas
- Director Business Risk and Controls (100% Remote Work Environment Available) San Antonio, Texas
- Business Risk and Controls Advisor Senior - IT Risk Oversight, Real Estate (100% Remote Work Environment Available) San Antonio, Texas