Quantitative Risk Analyst Intern
Here at USAA, you might oversee the product, the process, the project, or all of the above. But no matter what you apply your management skills to, you will always guide your team toward meeting the needs of our valued membership—the men and women who serve us in the military. Come build a meaningful career through leadership and help drive USAA forward.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Quantitative Risk Analyst Intern at USAA?
Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Problem solver
- Relationship expertise
Here's what our people are saying
“USAA is passionate about our members and those who serve them. Our design and delivery process owner teams are dedicated to providing seamless, repeatable processes which improve employee and member experiences. During my 20-year USAA career, I’ve had the opportunity to support members as an MSR, coach, process engineer and leader. Thank you, USAA,!”
AfrikaDirector Business Process Consultant (PM)
“At USAA, our Mission and our Member is at the forefront of all we do. I’m blessed to work for an organization that truly does make decisions to better the financial lives of our Military Members.”
BradDirector Bank Omnichannel Operations (PM)
Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Quantitative Risk Analyst Intern
Purpose of JobUSAA’s 10-week, summer internship program offers college students the chance to discover what it’s like to work at a Fortune 100 company and leading financial services organization.
Our interns deliver innovative solutions to real business challenges, and build enduring relationships with their manager and an assigned mentor. While gaining insight into the service of the military community and USAA’s noble mission, interns are immediately part of USAA’s collaborative culture. Spend your summer at USAA and gain a career where you can make a difference!
Our 2021 summer internship program will start on May 24, 2021 and last through July 30, 2021. To be eligible, you must be a college student during the time of the internship program.
- Provides risk management support for a line of business or staff agency in key risk identification, measurement and aggregation, and the understanding and management of risk through appropriate practices and processes
- Assesses and mitigates enterprise and business exposures through the identification of key and emerging risks and evaluates alignment with risk strategy and appetite
- Monitors the risk and control environment to ensure that exposures are kept at acceptable levels and may consult on risk mitigation plans
- Leverage analytical tools such as SAS and excel to conduct quantitative analysis
- Develop proposals for growth or risk mitigation based on data driven insights and analysis
- Craft and deliver presentations to peers and leaders to share insights and garner support for proposals
- Provides input on analyses that predict, evaluate, and manage risk across all products and business units
- Performs quantitative analysis of risk trends and provides root cause analysis
- Communicates analytical results, findings, and solutions to senior management and business process owners and influences business analysis.
- Creates statistical reporting and financial analysis to forecast results.
- May support model risk management activities pertaining to model documentation review, assessment of performance monitoring, model validation, and use implementation
- Participates in the documentation, design, and execution of control tests within business processes
- Performs professional duties in support of operations for the functional area assigned
- Applies foundational functional knowledge to produce work deliverables in support of departmental initiatives
- Manages limited departmental projects and/or participates as a project resource on larger initiatives
- Identifies opportunities and facilitates basic improvements to processes and systems
- Performs routine tasks under direct supervision and within established procedures and guidelines
- May interact with clients for technical requests to understand requirements and limitations in different phases of project lifecycle to include research, testing and implementation
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, or other quantitative discipline at a 4-year accredited university
- Graduation date cannot be prior to the end of the internship
Minimum Work Experience:
- 0 to 2 years of related experience and accountability for simple to moderately complex tasks and/or projects required
- Foundational and conceptual knowledge of the function/discipline and demonstrated application of knowledge, skills and abilities towards work products required
- Foundational level of business acumen in the areas of the business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required
- Experience with SQL, SAS, R, Python or other analytical / risk tools
- Strong communication skills
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the hourly range based on your experience and market position. The hourly range for this position is: $23-$25 per hour *(this does not include geographical differential, it may be applied based on your work location)
Interns are eligible to receive an intern stipend to assist with expenses.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
- Business Support Analyst Senior San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona
- Program/Project Management Senior (Work at Home Environment Available) San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas | Tampa, Florida
- Actuarial Analyst Intern San Antonio, Texas
- Director, Program/Project Management San Antonio, Texas
- AML Compliance Intern San Antonio, Texas