Life and Health Underwriter III - San Antonio or Remote
Purpose of JobWe are currently looking for a talented Life and Health Underwriter III to work in our San Antonio office or 100% Remote Work Environment. This role underwrites individual life and health insurance applicants according to established guidelines for the issuance of policies and within the approved binding authority. Determines whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk through evaluation of an individual's medical history or physical condition, occupational hazards, financial background, insurable interest and other information pertinent to the decision.
- Examines application forms, medical reports and investigative reports to determine degree of risk and adequacy of underwriting information.
- Applies foundational knowledge of the life insurance industry and life and health products and services.
- Underwrites routine cases using requirements and medical information that cannot be automatically reviewed.
- Discusses rate class recommendations and status of files, requests additional underwriting information for proper risk assessment, and explains underwriting decisions with internal and external customers.
- Consults with reinsurers to place coverage or discuss reinsurance decisions.
- Resolves routine member complaints and issues.
- Bachelor's degree required OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Up to 2 years financial services or health related industry experience.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- 2 or more years life underwriting experience.
- Academy of Life Underwriting course 101 complete.
- Binding Authority of 500K
- Experience using Swiss Re Underwriting Manual
- Inbound and outbound customer contact experience
Relocation assistance is NOT available for this position.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
- Life and Health Underwriter San Antonio, Texas