ED, AttorneyLocation San Antonio, Texas Secondary Locations San Antonio,Texas; Job ID R0030471 Date posted Mar. 14, 2019 Apply Now
Purpose of JobLeads, develops, supervises and motivates a team of attorneys and paralegal professionals, including managing the day-to-day operations. Provides best-in-class legal, advocacy, and advisory services to the association in support of achieving its mission and goals, consistent with prevailing laws, and regulations. Creates and implements strategic, operational and tactical initiatives that support key business objectives. Identifies and implements best practices and procedures to enhance effectiveness and efficiency. Collaborates across the Chief Legal Office to ensure integration of legal advice and solutions. Ensures staff provides the highest level of service for clients and internal customers. Participates and/or leads assigned programs and projects, and manages outside counsel
- Selects, develops and leads a team dedicated to providing legal advice to clients.
- Provides coaching and feedback to ensure employee development and supports client and customer service goals.
- Possesses and applies advanced analytical and legal proficiency to specialty area assignments.
- Handles negotiations, drafting, and document creation in complex situations.
- Proactively identifies strategic and tactical opportunities to improve operational effectiveness, including developing and implementing best practices, ensuring quality of the work performed by members of the team and by supporting change efforts.
- Achieves optimal productivity by managing workload volumes within the team and by identifying and implementing innovative solutions.
- Manages relationships with internal clients and provides counsel to enable the client to implement strategic initiatives, while managing legal and regulatory risk.
- Proactively reviews, analyzes and interprets data to identify trends and evaluate potential actions.
- Develops objectives and performance standards for all staff and conducts appropriate coaching and mentoring.
- Participates and leads projects focused on strategic, operational and tactical developments, threats, challenges, and opportunities.
- Keeps abreast of any changes in regulations and laws advising appropriate organizational leadership of such changes.
- Advises senior executive management, to include executive council, on issues.
- Leads and motivates cross-functional team members in strategy development and implementation of key initiatives and business solutions.
- Anticipates opportunities and potential solutions and leads team through the problem resolution process.
- Performs all other tasks as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Admitted to the practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- Active member and in good standing of the bar in at least one state or territory
- 10 or more years’ experience practicing law within legal area of expertise or other uniquely relevant experience as well as developing strategies, managing major initiatives and delivering results within a complex matrix environment in the financial services industry.
- 4 or more years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams required.
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals required.
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required.
- Ability to exercise good judgment on complex legal matters.
- Ability to clearly distill complex legal issues into straightforward concepts for clients.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools and applicable software.
- Prior experience with a bank regulator, law enforcement agency and/or as in-house counsel in a highly matrixed corporate environment
- Strong understanding of regulatory issue management and remediation exam lifecycle
- Significant prior experience and demonstrated success: interacting with prudential and other regulators (e.g., OCC, FRB, CFPB, FDIC or other governmental agencies and SROs); guiding firm through all aspects of regulatory examinations and responses (e.g., reviewing and analyzing regulatory requests, determining responsive records, preparing firm personnel for regulatory meetings, preparing written responses to regulatory questions and exam findings); and managing projects involving regulatory enforcement actions and remediation action plans.
- Demonstrated accomplishments: successfully navigating, collaborating and building strong relationships across the Legal organization as well as with colleagues in Risk, Compliance, Audit and the business to ensure proper communications to relevant stakeholders, briefing senior management on identified risks and prioritization decisions.
- Experience designing and building regulatory interaction framework and holistic management information reflecting status of bank-wide regulatory issues, concerns and feedback.
- Deep understanding of the current financial services regulatory environment
- Ability to effectively manage regulatory and legal risk within USAA’s Risk Appetite Statement for bank regulatory and prudential legal matters.
- Pragmatic, solution-oriented advisor with sound regulatory and legal risk analytical capabilities, strategic thinker.
- Executive, Managing Attorney-Deposits and Money Movement San Antonio, Texas
- Executive, Managing Attorney Credit Cards San Antonio, Texas
- Senior Attorney San Antonio, Texas
- Senior Attorney San Antonio, Texas