Director, Data Risk Management (Remote Work Location Available)
At USAA, you’ll be able to align your skillset with our values. Our Data & Analytics team provides crucial insights that benefit our members – active military, those who’ve served and their families. So, when you look beyond the facts and figures, you won’t just find a solution for our business. You’ll find a way to improve the livelihoods and outcomes of our members. See how you can grow a meaningful career with USAA.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Director, Data Risk Management (Remote Work Location Available) at USAA?
Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Problem solver
- Results driven
- Team player
Here's what our people are saying
“USAA helps me create an environment for success for my team, where we can create healthy challenges, drive accountability, feel valued, innovate and build for the future. Every day, I feel blessed to be serving those that have served the country.”
Venkata A.Information Governance
“As a woman in Data Science, I like working for a company that values diversity and inclusion. Additionally, I am a military BRAT and a member of a Gold Star Family, so USAA’s mission is an incredible opportunity to ‘Go Above for those who have Gone Beyond.’ Put simply, coming to USAA feels like coming home.”
Michelle S.Data Scientist
“USAA truly believes in the value of leveraging our data to improve Member experiences. What I work on every day ends up impacting our Members. I am elated to be part of a company where my work is impactful and where my ongoing professional growth and academic pursuits are supported and even promoted.”
David H.Data Scientist
Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Director, Data Risk Management (Remote Work Location Available)
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Director, Data Risk Management for San Antonio Home Office II/III or Remote Work Location Available.
Provides direction to teams across the enterprise regarding the development and implementation of the information management strategy to support the measuring and monitoring of enterprise business needs. Collaborates with the architectural communities and other information management activities. Influences and drives awareness of information strategy and architecture to the enterprise. Directs the development and implementation of strategies that supports maturing USAA's business capabilities.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
As part of 1st line of defense, responsibilities include:
- Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensure risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follow written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Leverages expert data management knowledge to define and oversee the implementation of information management vision and strategies within their area. This role may be responsible for ensuring that information management practices are integrated into appropriate business and technology processes in support of the Information Governance policy. This person may be acting in a managing information steward capacity or considered a support role with expertise for the information stewards as needed.
- A strategic partner and subject matter expert in consulting and advising business partners on information management solutions.
- Define and implement information management strategies related to data in order to enable compliance to Information Governance Standards.
- Responsible for development and execution of team strategic execution plan in coordination with departmental, CoSA, and Enterprise plans.
- Accountable for internal customer relationship creation, sustainment, and strengthening through team execution and brand management.
- Serves as a liaison between the business and IT teams to build and implement USAA core information management capabilities.
- Ensures industry trends and best practices are evaluated and integrated into current process, technology, and development strategic plans.
- Provides thought leadership and system thinking to influence relevant data, information, and application architecture decisions to include staying abreast of changes or evolutions to industry standards.
- Provides oversight and direction to the adherence of information governances and managements standards for Enterprise teams and CoSA/LOBs.
- Accountable for overall team regulatory, risk, and internal control compliance.
- Responsible for direct report performance management, talent development, and career progression planning.
- Encourages innovation, provides direction on work prioritization, manages capacity, assists with problem resolution.
- Accountable for teamwork product volume, quality, and business value delivery.
- Holds team members accountable for performance goals and establishes business-driven development plans for the team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Science discipline or 4 additional years of relevant data and analytics or technical experience can be substituted in lieu of a degree in addition to the minimum years of work experience.
- 8 years of experience in an information management practice, business application function, or data delivery; OR if Advanced degree in a Business or Science discipline, 6 years of experience in data and analytics, technical, or business relevant function.
- 3 years of direct team lead or management experience.
- Experience guiding teams in the defining and implementation of information management solutions for large scale complex projects.
- Advanced facilitation, collaboration and consensus building skills, with extensive experience in presenting to cross-functional teams and Senior/Executive leaders.
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in applying data governance and management practices, methods, and problem-solving strategies.
- Experience leading and coaching others in understanding and translating needs into requirements.
- Expert knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations, risk management practices, and regulatory data sources.
- Advanced SQL knowledge including SQL-based languages.
- Demonstrated advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated expert communication skills with the ability to deliver presentations to all levels of management including concise presentation of complex technical details.
- Wide array of Data Management and Data Governance Knowledge.
- Proven ability to implement Data Management capabilities and controls for Information Delivery (Applications build by IT and business as well as reports).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to lead a high performing team.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is notavailable for this position.
- Information Management Analyst Senior (Remote Work Location Available) San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona | Tampa, Florida
- Business Intelligence Analyst I San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas
- Senior Business Risk and Controls (Real Estate Servicing/ TPRM Oversight) San Antonio, Texas | Colorado Springs, Colorado | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas | Tampa, Florida
- Development Product Owner I San Antonio, Texas
- Information Governance Advisor I – Data Governance (Remote Work Location Available) San Antonio, Texas