Director, Audit - Insurance
With USAA, you can serve a bigger purpose as part of a company driven by strong core values. On a collaborative team, you will advance your business skills, knowledge and acumen to enhance the control environment across USAA. Your career mobility will be a priority as you receive robust training and professional development. Come build a career that’s as rewarding as it is meaningful.
- Full Time
- No Travel
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Director, Audit - Insurance at USAA?
Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Good listener
Here's what our people are saying
“Having the opportunity to be trusted advisors across USAA, and the exposure to executive leadership, is a huge blessing at such a pivotal part of my career.”
“We come together as a team and family that truly cares about each other. USAA is a place where living our core values comes naturally, because that’s who we are at and away from work. ”
Sylvia S.Senior Audit Manager
“The clearly defined USAA mission gives all employees a clear directive and all lines of business work collaboratively to strengthen the organization. This leads to a great team environment where all perspectives are appreciated. ”
Amy C.Senior Audit Manager Lead
Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Director, Audit - Insurance
Purpose of JobWe are seeking a talented Director, Audit – Insurance for our San Antonio, TX, Phoenix, AZ, Plano, TX, or 100% remote environments. Relocation assistance is available for this position.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
Purpose of the Job
Manages the planning, execution and oversight of the consolidated annual audit plan including risk-based assurance and advisory engagements driving quality of audit work for a designated staff agency or line of business/functional area. Maintains knowledge of financial services regulations and effectively responds and interacts with regulators. Provides oversight to multiple audit engagements, engagement planning, fieldwork and reporting. Manages strategic initiatives and leads in the development and implementation of a risk-based audit plan. Serves, and/or partners with subject matter expert(s) within audit or the business to analyze issues, establish and improve collaborative client relationships, and proactively work with client management to assess risk and improve internal controls. Responsible for building teams with the requisite knowledge and skillsets necessary to execute the audit plan, employee retention and overall team development.
Ensures fiscally responsible expense management. Provides independent oversight and thought leadership for audit disciplines ensuring that audit plans, frameworks, standards, and processes provide appropriate risk coverage.
Adheres to the Institute of Internal Auditors' International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and Code of Ethics.
- Accountable for timely delivery and quality execution of audit plan/reports, issue validation, driving continuous monitoring activities, and ensuring appropriate risks are covered for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Accountable for quality and providing technical engagement oversight, and approval of engagement risk assessment and audit scope.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with key stakeholders across the enterprise to ensure audit objectives are effectively met and contribute to the overall mission of USAA.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Provides effective challenge and approval of audit engagement scoping, planning, fieldwork and reporting. Provides insight in reviewing audit issues and identified root cause. Recognizes and communicates impact of related issues, MRIAs, MRAs and Enterprise issues on audit engagements and risk profile.
- Engages in multiple continuous monitoring and on-going risk routines.
- Prepares, reviews, and leads continuous monitoring and guides staff in advisory activities, special reviews and investigations.
- Leads the implementation and monitoring of audit process and performance standards; identifies and recommends internal audit process improvements.
- Proactively identifies potential process concerns and follows-up to resolve issues with Audit Leadership.
- Communicates effectively with key stakeholders across the enterprise and external regulators to ensure audit objectives are effectively met and contribute to the overall mission of USAA and risk-based and difficult messages are delivered timely.
- Responsible for building, directly managing and developing diverse teams with the requisite knowledge and skillsets necessary to execute the audit plan through recruitment, training, coaching, skills assessment results review, performance management and related managerial activities.
- Responsible for reviewing results of the annual risk assessment and providing input into the creation of the risk profile.
- Updates universe risk assessment information with current and applicable research, industry feedback and audit results.
- Reviews audit universe for completeness for area of responsibility.
- Responsible for the development of the annual Audit plan for assigned areas of responsibility including proper assessment and coverage of risks and emerging risks.
- Responsible for providing oversight of issue severity and impact to business processes and the control environment.
- Escalates broad and systemic themes to Audit and business leaders.
- Effectively challenges business management to adopt appropriate policies and procedures and effective controls designed to mitigate risks.
- Meets with and provides responses/requested information to regulators.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or relevant field such as Finance, Accounting, Business, or Information Technology OR four additional years of related experience beyond minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of audit, financial, insurance, banking, information technology or related business and/or leadership experience.
- 3 years of direct team lead or management experience leading and directing work with both internal and external partners in a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience performing internal audits, external audits, or applying audit, risk, or compliance acumen in a complex operational and regulatory environment.
- Experience directly leading or managing work of both internal and external partners.
- Broad and comprehensive experience in Audit theory, internal audit principles with demonstrated experience in audit examining, analyzing, assessing, and drawing conclusions from audit work.
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating and challenging Controls with business partners and influencing business outcomes.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and knowledge of data analysis tools and techniques and decision-making abilities.
- Demonstrated experience in highly dynamic environment undergoing change; ability to deal with competing priorities.
- Extensive P&C Insurance audit (Internal or External) experience as a leadership level, preferably Personal line insurance
- Strong working knowledge of Insurance company’s risk management functions
- Familiarity with P&C Insurance industry regulations
- Extensive People leader experience and outstanding organizational skills
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
For Internal Candidates: Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 11/25/2020 by 11:59 pm CST time
- Business Intelligence Analyst I San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas
- Senior Business Risk and Controls (Real Estate Servicing/ TPRM Oversight) San Antonio, Texas | Colorado Springs, Colorado | Phoenix, Arizona | Plano, Texas | Tampa, Florida
- Development Product Owner I San Antonio, Texas
- Senior Reporting Analyst - Mortgage RE Lead Distribution Phoenix, Arizona
- Business Strategy Analyst Senior (Office and/or Remote) Colorado Springs, Colorado | Phoenix, Arizona | Tampa, Florida | San Antonio, Texas | Chesapeake, Virginia