Director, Audit - Applications
With USAA, you can serve a bigger purpose as part of a company driven by strong core values. On a collaborative team, you will advance your business skills, knowledge and acumen to enhance the control environment across USAA. Your career mobility will be a priority as you receive robust training and professional development. Come build a career that’s as rewarding as it is meaningful.
- Full Time
- No Travel
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Director, Audit - Applications at USAA?
Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Good listener
Here's what our people are saying
“Having the opportunity to be trusted advisors across USAA, and the exposure to executive leadership, is a huge blessing at such a pivotal part of my career.”
“We come together as a team and family that truly cares about each other. USAA is a place where living our core values comes naturally, because that’s who we are at and away from work. ”
Sylvia SandovalSenior Audit Manager
“The clearly defined USAA mission gives all employees a clear directive and all lines of business work collaboratively to strengthen the organization. This leads to a great team environment where all perspectives are appreciated. ”
Amy ChoSenior Audit Manager Lead
Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Director, Audit - Applications
Purpose of JobWe are seeking a talented Director, Audit - Applications for our San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, Phoenix, AZ, and remote facilities.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
Purpose of the Job
Manages the planning, execution and oversight of the consolidated annual audit plan including risk-based assurance and advisory engagements driving quality of audit work for a designated staff agency or line of business/functional area. Responsible for building teams with the requisite knowledge and skillsets necessary to execute the audit plan, employee retention and overall team development. Ensures fiscally responsible expense management. Provides independent oversight and thought leadership for audit disciplines ensuring that audit plans, frameworks, standards, and processes provide appropriate risk coverage. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with key stakeholders across the enterprise to ensure audit objectives are effectively met and contribute to the overall mission of USAA. Adheres to the Institute of Internal Auditors' International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and Code of Ethics. Maintains knowledge of financial services regulations and effectively responds and interacts with regulators.
- Accountable for timely delivery and quality execution of audit plan/reports and issue validation, driving continuous monitoring activities, and ensuring appropriate risks are covered.
- Accountable for quality and providing technical engagement oversight, and approval of engagement risk assessment and audit scope.
- Responsible for updating the audit universe risk assessment and audit plan as needed.
- Addresses issues escalated by team members, manages conflict and gains appropriate resolution of complex issues with stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Escalates any suspected fraudulent activities and advises senior leadership as appropriate.
- Responsible for escalating systemic and/or pervasive issues.
- Coordinates with other Audit leaders on quality, resources, and coverage.
- Drives linkages and information sharing across the organization.
- Communicates effectively with regulators and key stakeholders across the enterprise to ensure audit objectives are effectively met and contribute to the overall mission of USAA.
- Responsible for building diverse teams with the requisite knowledge and skillsets necessary to execute the audit plan, employee retention and overall team development.
- Directly manages, selects, and develops staff responsible for conducting audit plans for a line of business or staff agency, to include preparing and providing performance evaluations, coaching, recognition, and performance management.
- Directs team in ongoing management reporting routines.
- Leads the implementation and monitoring of audit process and performance standards; identifies and recommends internal audit process improvements.
- Provides key information to audit executives and participates in the validation of the annual plan to ensure appropriate coverage.
- Bachelor's degree in Business other relevant field OR Four additional years of related experience beyond minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Eight or more years of progressive audit or related business experience with in depth experience in managing or overseeing complex audits OR relevant Master's Degree with 6 or more years of relevant experience.
- Three or more years of direct team lead or management experience.
- Subject-matter-expert with broad and comprehensive experience in audit techniques, assessing internal controls, and business/ information technology risks.
- Hands on IT or audit experience in multiple facets of IT application testing, including but not limited to access management controls, edit/input controls, configurable technology controls, code review, application data transfer, batch processing, etc.
- Experience managing / directing integrated audits focused on IT systems used to support the business operations, SOX, or financial statement audits within a Financial Institution or Insurance company.
- IT or IT audit experience evaluating multiple technologies, including Mainframe, ERP systems, Databases, WebSphere, etc.
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment, and reviewing work product with external regulators
- Ability to develop innovative audit strategies and methodologies
- Holds one or more of the following IT certifications: CISA, CISSP, CIA, CPA, or other related IT certifications.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates: Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 6/28/2020 by 11:59 pm CST time