Database Tools Software Engineer - Mid level
With USAA, you can have a true impact as part of a company that makes you a priority. As you work to push technology forward and serve military members and their families, USAA will ensure you’re constantly learning and growing. You will be encouraged to always leverage your innovative thinking as you design, test, take risks, create new technology and make a difference. Come build a rewarding career with a company that’s as loyal to you as it is to its customers.
- Full Time
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Database Tools Software Engineer - Mid level at USAA?
Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Results driven
- Team Player
Here's what our people are saying
“As a Software Developer at USAA, I am constantly provided opportunities to learn new and exciting technologies. I have been able to pursue software craftsmanship by exploring paired programming, test-driven development and continuous learning. I am thrilled to work at a company that challenges me and allows me to grow both personally and professionally. ”
Cree W.Software Engineer
Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Database Tools Software Engineer - Mid level
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented mid-level Database Tools Software Engineer to work either 100% remotely or at our corporate office in San Antonio, TX or our regional office in Plano, TX.
Note: The candidate selected for this position will work on the Database Tools team in the Database Services and Analytics unit. They will work with Java and GitLab technologies to develop an automated database provisioning capability as a part of our Database Deploy Tool pipeline.
Provides support to the Enterprise and has an opportunity to significantly impact organizational growth and effectiveness through delivering best in class technology solutions. Engaged in all phases of the software systems and application development lifecycle which include; gathering and analyzing requirements, designing, testing, documenting and implementing software, responding to outages. Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure these risks are effectively identified and escalated to be measured, monitored and controlled.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Design, develop, code, and test complex technical solutions collaborating with senior engineers.
- May lead code/design reviews to ensure smooth daily operations and accurate planning at a team level.
- May begin to organize work and lead team to deliver features and solutions.
- Resolves complex production issues with independence by troubleshooting complex applications and systems independently.
- May begin mentoring junior engineers.
- Bachelor's degree in related field of study,
Certification from an approved technical field of study,
4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required
- 4+ years of software development experience demonstrating depth of technical understanding within a specific discipline(s)/technology(s)
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) Pipeline tool development using GitLab and Docker as the tools platform
- Script development experience (Bash, PowerShell, Python) with calling and consuming APIs
- Java Agile software development in a Jira and GitLab Pipeline environment
- General Database Platform and SQL knowledge
- Puppet configuration script writing, execution and maintenance
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 11/26/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.
- Software Engineer – Lead Level Plano, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona | San Antonio, Texas
- Director, Quality Assurance San Antonio, Texas | Phoenix, Arizona
- Director, Business Applications - P&C Insurance (100% Remote Available) San Antonio, Texas
- Contact Center Engineer - Junior level San Antonio, Texas
- Pega Engineer - Senior Level San Antonio, Texas