Commercial Insurance Underwriter Senior (Commercial Insurance Property Specialist) (
- Job ID
- Date posted
Purpose of JobWe are seeking a Commercial Insurance Underwriter Senior to join our team. This person may work in a 100% remote setting.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
Develops, implements, and manages commercial insurance underwriting processes and programs to ensure all underwriting processes are compliant, executed in a cost-efficient manner and effective in achieving desired outcomes. Develops and implements Commercial Insurance Underwriting policies and processes to achieve business deliverables. Partners with internal stakeholders to maintain Commercial Insurance Underwriting policies and procedures while ensuring compliance with state regulations. Manages projects and/or process improvement initiatives.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Apply advanced knowledge of contract coverages, underwriting programs, market data, state-specific, and other regulatory information to make underwriting decisions related to commercial insurance operations and/or transactions.
- Evaluate risk and make underwriting determination for commercial lines of business within established guidelines and limits of authority.
- Research underwriting trends, market intelligence, resources, and processes.
- Lead the development and implementation of business guidelines, controls, and strategies consistent with company policy and goals.
- Effectively own and manage multiple underwriting processes and/or Experiences and leverages data to make data-driven recommendations independently.
- Key contributor in developing underwriting educational programs/tools, training/mentoring, and/or communications for the delivery to internal and external audiences to include leadership across the enterprise.
- Serve as a resource to team members on escalated issues of a complex nature.
- Serve as a resource to new underwriters, including delivering training, auditing work, and reporting progress to management.
- Provide direction and share knowledge with other employees who manage underwriting programs, guidelines, and processes.
- Independently gather and analyze data to proactively evaluate and recommend changes to or establish a point of view on the Underwriting appetite for product acceptability.
- Contributes to the development of underwriting educational programs/tools, training/mentoring messages, and/or communications for the delivery to internal and external audiences.
- Identifies the effectiveness of current policies and processes by establishing best practices and the appropriate review cadence to address gaps.
- Bachelor’s degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 6 years of insurance underwriting experience, with at least 4 years in commercial insurance underwriting.
- Experience executing and/or defining underwriting processes, procedures, and/or guidelines.
- Experience applying & editing policy forms, notices, & procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant industry practices, trends, and regulatory requirements.
- Experience in presenting analysis and findings to varying levels of management and business stakeholders to gain support for recommendations and influence initiatives.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in underwriting Commercial Property
- Experienced in portfolio management
- Experienced in CAT underwriting and management
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $72,900 - 131,400.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
To see details on our outstanding benefits, visit USAA Total Rewards.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.