Business Risk and Controls Lead (Retail Bank)
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Business Risk and Controls Lead (Retail Bank) for the San Antonio Home Office II/III or Remote.
USAA Retail Banking Risk Team is hiring multiple Business Risk and Controls positions within the Bank. Positions will be supporting various Product teams and Risk Programs including:
• Deposits, Credit Card, Retail Payments and Retail Bank Operations Product Teams
• Compliance Risk (Exam/Regulatory Management, Issue Management, Policy/Document
• Operational Risk (RCSAs, PRCIs, Operational Losses)
• Quality Assurance Program
• Enterprise Risk Programs (Material Risk Inventory, Risk Appetite, KRIs, Program Change
• Risk Program Support and Reporting (Risk Reporting, Training, Communications)
Promotes risk-awareness and the overall effectiveness of risk and compliance management programs, risk analytics and operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate with Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Business Operations, IT, Audit Services, and Regulators to support risk and compliance-based initiatives. Responsible for supporting business leader adherence to the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls; including, risk and control self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, internal and external audits and regulatory exams, and monitoring of the first line of defense to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment. Manages risk assessment data and identifies key data-driven insights tied to first line of defense.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Directs and oversees multiple initiatives in support of risk and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives including but not limited to: oversight of procedures/process, accurate regulatory reporting and filing, document governance, risk control self-assessments, procedure governance, control design, new product controls, CoSA Third Party Governance, or quality governance.
- Applies a holistic understanding of risk and regulatory compliance to includes business strategies and solutions.
- Responsible for first line of defense data analysis, report preparation and trend analysis, utilizing business intelligence tools.
- Designs solutions for unanswered business questions and anticipates future business needs.
- Directs, organizes and oversees action plans designed to enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Influences and develops innovative solutions to mitigate risk and prevent risk exposures which result in significant business impacts.
- Manages the most complex projects involving cross-functional areas within the first line of defense.
- Defines and outlines new approaches to problem resolution and leads project team from concept through implementation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control environment related to risk identification and control weaknesses.
- Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to cross functional team members and advises on risk mitigation opportunities.
- Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Bachelor's degree OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities in a financial services operating environment or other relevant industry OR 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative discipline OR Advanced degree or designation in a risk management or quantitative discipline plus 6 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities OR PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline plus 4 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses
- Advanced understanding of Risk Management principles and regulatory expectations applicable to Retail Banking at a financial institution
- Experience leading risk program implementation in a first line of defense risk role at a Retail Bank
- Proven problem solver - ability to break down complex problems by component, determine root cause, drive develop/implement clear steps to solution
- Experience in a highly dynamic environment undergoing change; ability to partner & consult effectively at all levels of the organization in a highly complex business environment, dealing with competing priorities
- Experience monitoring all sources of risk across various Retail Bank products and services
- Experience advising and participating in risk control self-assessments, identification of material risks, monitoring Key Risk Indicators, adhering to issue management standards, and assessing control design and effectiveness
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 9/21/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.
- Audit Manager - IT Projects San Antonio, Texas | Plano, Texas
- AVP, Mortgage Servicing Rights Asset Management San Antonio, Texas
- Sr. Quantitative Risk Analyst - Credit Card Portfolio (Remote Work Environment Available) Plano, Texas | San Antonio, Texas
- Director Business Risk and Controls (100% Remote Work Environment Available) San Antonio, Texas
- Business Risk and Controls Advisor Senior - IT Risk Oversight, Real Estate (100% Remote Work Environment Available) San Antonio, Texas