Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead- Issue Management
With USAA, you can make a difference in the lives of our members. Among an inspiring team, you will develop quantitative and analytic models, assessments and applications. Through your deep experience in various disciplines, you will apply diverse methodologies to solve complex and undefined risk-related problems. Come build a meaningful career and work alongside leadership to drive USAA forward.
What makes a successful Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead- Issue Management at USAA? Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Results driven
- Detailed oriented
- Problem solver
Here's what our people are saying
“The leadership team is committed to enabling employees to learn and grow. I am proud to work for a company that focuses so clearly on doing the right thing for our members and our employees. That commitment and drive is evident as we work together to ensure effective Risk Management throughout the lines of defense.”
Jackie GalvinRisk Analyst, Senior
“USAA reminds me every day that while we take care of each other and those who count on us to serve them, we will absolutely be rewarded. We are truly blessed to work for such a great company, alongside all the amazing people who are diligently dedicated to fulfill our commitment to become a fully compliant company.”
Zyn NieDirector Quantitative Risk Management
“I love working at USAA. I feel empowered as a risk professional and I enjoy working alongside leaders who are passionate and mission focused.”
Ashley Morrison Lead Risk Analyst
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Onsite Gym/ Fitness Center
Paid Time Off
Retirement Plan (With Match)
Health and Wellness Programs
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead- Issue Management
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead- Issue Management for the San Antonio Home Office I or Tampa Campus.
Promotes risk-awareness and the overall effectiveness of risk and compliance management programs, risk analytics and operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate with Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Business Operations, IT, Audit Services, and Regulators to support risk and compliance-based initiatives. Responsible for supporting business leader adherence to the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls; including, risk and control self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, internal and external audits and regulatory exams, and monitoring of the first line of defense to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment. Manages risk assessment data and identifies key data-driven insights tied to first line of defense.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Directs and oversees multiple initiatives in support of risk and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives including but not limited to: oversight of procedures/process, accurate regulatory reporting and filing, document governance, risk control self-assessments, procedure governance, control design, new product controls, CoSA Third Party Governance, or quality governance.
- Applies a holistic understanding of risk and regulatory compliance to includes business strategies and solutions.
- Responsible for first line of defense data analysis, report preparation and trend analysis, utilizing business intelligence tools.
- Designs solutions for unanswered business questions and anticipates future business needs.
- Directs, organizes and oversees action plans designed to enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Influences and develops innovative solutions to mitigate risk and prevent risk exposures which result in significant business impacts.
- Manages the most complex projects involving cross-functional areas within the first line of defense.
- Defines and outlines new approaches to problem resolution and leads project team from concept through implementation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control environment related to risk identification and control weaknesses.
- Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to cross functional team members and advises on risk mitigation opportunities.
- Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities in a financial services operating environment or other relevant industry or 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative discipline, or advanced degree or designation in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 6 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities, or PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 4 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Extensive experience within issue management within a financial institution
- Experience with designing, improving and writing controls
- Experience with RCSA life cycle
- Auto claims experience
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 1/20/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.