AttorneyLocation San Antonio, Texas Secondary Locations San Antonio,Texas; Job ID R0038052 Date posted Sep. 11, 2019 Apply Now
Purpose of JobResponsible for providing legal advice and counsel within the incumbent's area(s) of legal expertise in support of Company or Staff Agency throughout the enterprise. Ensures the company's activities are conducted in compliance with the applicable legal framework and USAA's Risk Appetite. Responsible for foreseeing, mitigating, and managing legal risks. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. May work with outside counsel to complete assignments.
- Applies advanced knowledge to mitigate legal, regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA businesses.
- Engages and collaborates with other legal experts within the company and at times outside counsel.
- May work with outside counsel or contract professionals to complete assignments.
- Provides solutionoriented legal advice and counsel to internal clients to support business objectives.
- May assist more senior attorneys in providing advice and counsel on highly complex matters.
- Responsible for analyzing the application of laws and regulations and preparing recommendations and/or documents to support the organization.
- Applies advanced knowledge regarding relevant business, industry, and area of legal specialty.
- Handles complex negotiations, drafting and document creation, and matter resolution.
- Ensures escalation of matters presenting more significant risk to more senior attorneys.
- May assist more senior attorneys with the preparation of defense positions for highly complex litigation.
- Participates in and may lead crossfunction initiatives.
- Serves as a resource to less experienced team members.
- May provide research, factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues, in support of more senior attorneys.
- Performs all other tasks as assigned.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- 4 or more years legal experience.
- Admitted to the practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- Active member and in good standing of the bar in at least one state or territory
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools and applicable software.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Experience with corporate legal and regulatory issues of insurers.
- Familiarity with the NAIC, NAMIC, and ACLI.
- Experience as in-house for an insurer or other financial services company.
- Experience working with DOI staff and leadership.
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of Texas.
- Excellent academic credentials and legal training.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 9/17/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.