Attorney - Regulatory and Legal Risk
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Onsite Gym/ Fitness Center
Paid Time Off
Retirement Plan (With Match)
Health and Wellness Programs
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Attorney - Regulatory and Legal Risk
Purpose of JobAttorney – Regulatory and Legal Risk
We are currently seeking a talented Attorney for our San Antonio, TX Bank facility.
**This position is working in our San Antonio, Texas Bank home office location or working remotely**
Responsible for providing legal counsel to business unit leadership within USAA by identifying and analyzing legal issues and communicating effective legal advice. Proactively engages with business clients to better understand USAA’s strategic and operational objectives. Engages and collaborates with internal stakeholders within business units and the Chief Legal Office. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Provides legal counsel to support business objectives and mitigate regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA.
- Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions.
- Proactively identifies and manages existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAAs legal risk appetite.
- Ensures risks are effectively measured, monitored and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms. Produces clear and concise legal positions.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner.
- Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
- Works effectively with outside counsel or contract professionals to complete assignments.
- May assist more senior attorneys in providing advice and counsel on highly complex matters.
- Ensures escalation of matters presenting more significant risk to more senior attorneys.
- Serves as a resource to less experienced team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- 6 years of relevant experience with at least 4 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Prior experience as an associate at a national top-tier law firm.
- Experience supporting interactions with prudential and other federal or state regulators (e.g., OCC, FRB, CFPB, FDIC, SEC, FINRA, etc.) on regulatory matters, including regulatory exams, regulatory investigations or litigation, and managing internal projects to address regulatory matters.
- Working knowledge of the components of risk management (identification, monitoring and reporting, inherent and residual risk, quality of risk management).
- Experience working for a bank, regulator, law enforcement agency and/or as in-house counsel in a highly matrixed corporate environment is a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, while also handling tasks independently and with little or no supervision.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully manage competing deadlines and priorities in a high-paced environment.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 5/28/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.