Software Engineer - Mid Level
With USAA, you can have a true impact as part of a company that makes you a priority. As you work to push technology forward and serve military members and their families, USAA will ensure you’re constantly learning and growing. You will be encouraged to always leverage your innovative thinking as you design, test, take risks, create new technology and make a difference. Come build a rewarding career with a company that’s as loyal to you as it is to its customers.
- Full Time
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Software Engineer - Mid Level at USAA?
Review the top traits we’re looking for and see if you’re the right fit.
- Results driven
- Team Player
Here's what our people are saying
“As a Software Developer at USAA, I am constantly provided opportunities to learn new and exciting technologies. I have been able to pursue software craftsmanship by exploring paired programming, test-driven development and continuous learning. I am thrilled to work at a company that challenges me and allows me to grow both personally and professionally. ”
Cree WhiteSoftware Engineer
Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
Software Engineer - Mid Level
Purpose of JobJava Software Engineer – Web Services – Mid Level
We are currently seeking talented Java Software Engineers – Mid Level for our Phoenix, AZ facility.
USAA Java Software Engineers create and maintain APIs for our business software applications that our members use. Done well, many may never realize or appreciate how critical these APIs are or how we've made them simpler. Faster. Safer. Yet they help make our members' lives better. It's a great challenge and responsibility.
Here, you will invent. You'll design and test. You'll take risks. You'll create new technology, but the impact you'll make on our members will be far more significant.
As a Java Engineer, you are expected to be able to function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is built into all solutions leveraging TDD. Your responsibilities will require you to be knowledgeable in API development. You will be a part of teams of developers guiding on engineering and architecture best practices as well as demonstrate the ability to partner and engage with other engineers and architects.
You will work closely with business clients and UI designers to analyze user requirements, code applications and customize and/or integrate commercial software packages for both internal employees and external member-facing applications across multiple platforms.
As a Java Engineer, it will be your responsibility to maintain code integrity and quality.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 3,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on Agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
- With limited guidance performs defect correction (analysis, design, code) on less complex issues and/or codes applications of medium complexity.
- With guidance begins to install, customize and integrate commercial software packages.
- Works with more tenured peers to gain understanding of systems while conducting root cause analysis of issues, reviewing new and existing code and/or performing unit testing.
- Works with experienced team members to conduct root cause analysis of issues, review new and existing code and/or perform unit testing.
- Learns to create system documentation/play books and attends requirements, design and code reviews.
- Receives work packages from manager and/or delegates.
- Understands and assists in gathering and analyzing customer requirements and may respond to outages following the appropriate processes.
- Partners with experienced team members to develop accurate estimates on work packages. May begin to identify issues that impact availability
- Bachelor's degree in related field of study OR Certification from an approved technical field of study OR 4 additional years of I/T experience beyond the minimum required in lieu of a degree.
- AND, 2+ years of software engineering/development experience utilizing Java with experience working with RESTful Web Services
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- 2+ years in REST frameworks with focus on API development
- 1+ years in AGILE methodology
- 1+ years experience integrating with backend services like JMS, J2C, ORM frameworks (Hibernate, JPA, JDO, etc), JDBC.
- Ability to implement container based APIs using a container frameworks OpenShift, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Relational Database design and optimization with Oracle DB2, MySQL, Postgress
- Familiar with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
- Experience testing in REST services
- Experience in design and develop automated test framework
USAA Java Engineers create innovative solutions that impact our members. Collectively, we are:
- Curious and excited by new ideas
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand and translate business needs into leading-edge technology
- Comfortable working as part of a connected team, but self-motivated
- Community-focused, dependable and committed
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 8/04/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.