GIS Engineer - Mid Level
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Onsite Gym/ Fitness Center
Paid Time Off
Retirement Plan (With Match)
Health and Wellness Programs
- Diversity and inclusion — We work together to create an environment that welcomes diverse perspectives and talent.
- Corporate responsibility — Our corporate responsibility programs share a common purpose of giving back to the military community.
- Balance and wellness — Our benefits help you live your life to the fullest while balancing work and personal goals.
- Educational opportunities — We foster a culture of learning, inspiring you to further develop your skill set and education.
GIS Engineer - Mid Level
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented GIS Engineer – Mid Level for our Phoenix, AZ campus.
Software Developers and Integrators (SDIs) are engaged in all phases of the software development lifecycle which include; gathering and analyzing user/business system requirements, responding to outages and creating application system models. SDIs primary functions are to design, develop, document, test and debug new and existing software systems and/or applications for internal use, perform defect corrections (analysis, design, code). In addition, SDIs participate in design meetings and consult with business clients to refine, test, and debug programs to meet business needs, and interact and sometimes direct third party partners in the achievement of business and technology initiatives. This is an advanced-level role occupied by those demonstrating in-depth technical and/or business knowledge within their respective areas of specialization. Incumbents work independently on complex work assignments and may determine methods and procedural approaches on new assignments. In addition, responsibilities include serving as resources to internal and third party team members on escalated technical issues and analyzing and designing specifications for less experienced team members to execute.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day. We are over 3,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
- Independently installs, customizes and integrates commercial software packages.
- Facilitates root cause analysis of system issues.
- Works with experienced team members to conduct root cause analysis of issues, review new and existing code and/or perform unit testing.
- Learns to create system documentation/play books and attends requirements, design and code reviews.
- Receives work packages from manager and/or delegates.
- Identifies ideas to improve system performance and impact availability.
- Resolves complex technical design issues.
- Creates system documentation/play book(s) and participates as a reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code reviews.
- May serve as the subject matter expert on development techniques.
- Partners with experienced team members to develop accurate work estimates on work packages.
- May serve as a mentor on procedural matters to less experienced internal and third party team members.
- May assist experienced team members with the delegation of work packages.
- Bachelor's degree OR certification from an approved technical field of study OR four additional years of related experience in lieu of a degree.
- Four years of software development experience.
- Experience installing and configuring ArcGIS Enterprise and Desktop software; GIS application development
- Experience in Linux RHEL shell scripting
- Experience designing, implementing, and consuming REST Web Services
- Experience developing web-based software applications or web services using at least one of the following languages: Java, Python, or C#
- Experience working with configuration management tools/software i.e. Chef, Puppet etc.
- Experience with Jupyter / Jupyter Notebook
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.