Director, Product Development (Small Business Insurance)Location Phoenix, Arizona | San Antonio, Texas | Plano, Texas Secondary Locations Phoenix,Arizona;Plano,Texas;REMOTE,ZZ;San Antonio,Texas; Job ID R0039203 Date posted Sep. 30, 2019 Apply Now
Purpose of JobThis position is accountable for leading our BOP/GL product development effort and managing a team of individual contributors that is responsible for overseeing and managing the launch and maturation of new commercial lines products into target strategic markets. Acting as a cross functional expert, this position provides leadership and product expertise and support for initiatives related to product development, compliance, operational and process improvements, claims management, vendor management, product documentation, fulfillment, and/or system releases. Pricing and Underwriting experience with commercial lines is a must.
This position is accountable for managing a team of individual contributors that is responsible for overseeing and managing the launch and maturation of new products into target strategic markets. Acting as a cross functional expert, this position provides leadership and product expertise and support for initiatives related to product development, compliance, operational and process improvements, claims management, vendor management, product documentation, fulfillment, and/or system releases.
- Responsible for development of a digital first products supporting the needs and risks of USAA Members
- Develops and launches new innovative product offerings as well as auxiliary/enhanced features/services for existing products
- Generates creative product and coverage solutions for customer needs to ensure a dynamic product development pipeline exists
- Responsible for maintaining thorough level of knowledge of business and underwriting performance for products in scope (e.g. trends, results, etc.)
- Responsible for on-going maintenance and underwriting of existing “new in market” products based on product performance, member needs and competitive changes in the market including but not limited to product rules, rates, and forms.
- Leverages cross functional resources to gather data and member information to support formulation of product strategy and acquire competitive intelligence
- Develops and communicates the product value proposition
- Ensures product development team delivers sales support\to all distribution channels (e.g., .com, mobile, contact center) so that the product is properly positioned to customers
- Analyzes and evaluates product and underwriting performance metrics to form recommendations regarding market opportunities and product enhancements
- Coaches and develops employees belonging to the product development team, on an ongoing and real-time basis, to drive maximum performance and engagement levels.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Marketing, Supply Chain, Statistics, or related discipline. 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 or more years relevant industry experience in Actuary, Underwriting, Marketing, or Operations OR 4 or more years relevant industry experience in Actuary, Underwriting, Marketing, or Operations plus 4 or more years of direct product management experience
- 3 or more years of direct team lead or management experience
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
- 8 or more years of recent Digital Commercial Lines experience
- 5 or more years of experience with ISO products and forms
- 5 or more years of experience developing and filing products
- 8 or more years of Commercial Lines Underwriting experience
- 2 or more years of experience managing a team of remote employees
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.