Mid Level Designer- Design Systems (Remote Available)
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking multiple Mid Level Designers for the San Antonio Home Office, Austin, Plano or 100% Remote Work from home environment.
Contributes within high-performing, cross-organizational teams by applying working knowledge and experience in the practice of human-centered design. Assists in the research, ideation, concepting, prototyping, testing, and delivery activities for moderately complex Member and Employee experiences in a data-informed, agile environment. Demonstrates the value of design as a strategic partner by working to craft, iterate, and deliver solutions that align with member needs.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
ABOUT USAA’S CHIEF DESIGN OFFICE
USAA has been powering innovation with empathy for nearly 100 years. Within the Chief Design Office (CDO), we reaffirm our commitment to build for the future and humanize the digital experience. CDO is comprised of 200+ multi-disciplinary designers, teachers, students, empathizers, explorers, doodlers, and even unicyclists. Spanning three locations (San Antonio, Austin and Plano), we have varied backgrounds across all design disciplines, from self-taught to advanced degrees.
As Designers and Producers at USAA, we are measured by delivering on our mission: to help facilitate the financial security of our members. With access to millions of USAA members, we craft informed solutions through human-centered design that demonstrate value and meaning based on real needs. We continually engage our business partners and members to ensure we are focused on the right solutions. As technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, we recognize the need to not only stay current, but also look beyond, all for the benefit of our members.
Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
Supports design team in defining business problems, design requirements, and demonstrate a solution's potential success for moderately complex projects.
Assists in the facilitation of cross-functional human-centered design sessions and group discussions to drive shared understanding and provide design solutions
Collaborates with team members to deconstruct moderately complex problems into a clear and achievable workstream with support and direction for decision making.
Navigates all parts of their workstream from discovery to implementation through the development of research deliverables, design artifacts, and prototypes.
Participates in the development and facilitation of human-centered research efforts, the synthesis of research findings and the generation of insights. Works mostly self-directed to create end-to-end member experiences and documentation of work by leveraging proficiency in interaction design, visual design, and/or content design.
Consistently and effectively presents work, articulates dependencies and communicates a clear rationale for decisions.
Demonstrates a working understanding of human-centered and service design principles and can leverage relevant methods to solve discrete design problems.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree (8+ Years experience in lieu of degree).
- 4 years of relevant, on-the-job experience in a Product Design, UX Design, Service Design or Design Research role delivering complex design systems for web and native applications.
- Demonstrated experience designing and supporting digital products inside an Agile environment using human-centered design principles, methods and problem-solving strategies.
- A portfolio that demonstrates working experience designing digital experiences for mobile and web-based applications.
- Facilitation, collaboration and consensus-building skills, with experience presenting to cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work fluently in standard applications, including Sketch, InVision (or comparable prototyping tools), Adobe CC and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated working understanding of new technologies and best practices in website navigation, browsers, mobile patterns, information architecture and usability.
- Demonstrated experience designing user interfaces for web and mobile applications (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, time management skills and strong attention to detail.
- Highly motivated, engaging and able to work effectively within a team environment, always delivering results on time.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Experience working on an Enterprise level CMS (AEM preferred)
- Experience working with Structured content, content fragments and experience fragments
- Experience contributing to a Design Language System and expertise in System Thinking
- Fluent with creating page templates and CMS components (Modules, patterns, blocks, etc...)
- Experience working with web, responsive and JS frameworks such as HTML 5, CSS, JS, LESS, React, etc.
- Up to date with the latest UI trends and mainstream design systems (Material, Carbon, etc...)
- Experience with micro interactions
- Writing documentation
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $72,900 - $131,400* ( this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.